Pullovers For Men
Pullovers are woven or knitted garments pulled over your head. It has no buttons or zippers. Pullovers provide warmth to the top part of your body and usually have long sleeves. Pullovers are also called jumper, jersey or sweater.
Wearing A Pullover
Woolens or knitted pullovers are worn depending upon the season and the setting. Ideally worn when the weather is cold in a casual setting. The best thing about pullover is it being worn over a shirt or T-shirt can be removed and put back when outdoors or in cold surroundings.That is something similar to coat but more smart, casual and chic.
Pullovers are multipurpose garments be it for men or women. But there are some variation in colour designs and even the material or make of the pullovers for men.
Some common materials that you usually find in the market are:
- Cashmere pullover- The best in quality and warmth. It comes from Cashmere goat or Kashmir goat, northern most geographical region of Indian sub continent. The wool produced is fine undercoat fiber. The reason for high price tag is low production, fine quality. It provides warmth and is very light.
Advantage- No itching.
Light and comfortable to wear.
Disadvantage- Classic style.
Not approved by animal
- Merino wool pullover- Another best in terms of softness and quality. The high-quality fiber with curls traps air thus, increasing natural insulating properties of wool plus the soft feel makes it popular. Merino pullovers for men are durable, thin but may not be as warm as lambswool.
Advantage- Soft and durable.
Thin and less pilling.
Stylish and cool.
Disadvantage- Expensive than lambswool.
Heavy than Cashmere.
- Lambswool pullover- The most common and popular material for pullovers for men. The fibre of the wool is 50mm or shorter in length and is collected from the first shearing of lamb. The pullovers made from lambswool are soft, warm allowing good insulation, making it comfortable and breathable to wear.
- Cotton pullover- Not very common for winter months but a good idea for layering up your attire.
Advantage- Easy on maintenance.
Worn in any season.
- Mix-Fabric pullover- Pullovers for men are available in an amalgamation of two or more different fiber like wool with man-made fiber (nylon). The most common reason for this is to improve efficiency while reducing the cost of a pullover.
Added advantage of two types of material.
Disadvantage- Not pure.
Styling Pullovers for Men
Pullovers for men can be designed in various manners to enhance your style. These styles usually evolve around the neck area.
- V-Neck Pullover- A dynamic and versatile piece of clothing in your wardrobe. V-neck looks formal than its contemporaries cause of its more conventional and elegant look. V-neck pullover in plain design and basic colours are exquisite and so does not require any pattern or colours to compliment it.
- The colours for V-neck pullovers for men are usually basic like black, brown, navies and simple grey depending on the season. For casual outing V-neck is best. Wear it with single colour undershirt to give casual smart look.
- V neck pullover is preferably best in smart and casual wear. You will usually find people wearing it in work place. Combine your V-neck pullover with a tie for smart, chic look.
- Crew neck pullover- The most popular and a must piece for men’s dressing. Indeed a quintessential or a versatile piece, crew neck pullovers go well with smart or casual attires. In the absence of any collar, crew neck sits around the base of one’s neck and takes the shape of your neck.
- Crew neck pullovers for men are common for both casual and semi-casual settings. Wearing it with a polo shirt or a t-shirt with jeans without a neckline gives a dapper look. It can also be easily paired with formal collared shirt and chinos for that easy casual look.
- A crew neck pullover teamed with collared shirt is elegant but without a tie. Ties are best worn with V-neck pullovers since ties get hidden beneath the crew neckline. A collar shirt with trousers worn with a blazer gives aesthetic appeal.
- Roll-neck pullover: Its distinctive feature is an elongated neckline covering your neck. This extra protection is necessary for those chilly winter months. Also called as roll collar, it is quite popular among the skiers.
- Roll neck pullovers are usually for casual wear and occasionally for semi-formal or formal wear.
- However, you can also wear it for semi-formal
- wear depending on the way you style it. Roll neck can easily be worn under leather or casual jackets for extra warmth and layer look with chinos or jeans.
- these pullovers is usually avoided by people with small necks, cause it does not fits well and is uncomfortable. Roll neck pullover of heavier weight gives cozy and casual feel while lightweight gives a semi-formal look.
- Zip neck pullover- This is similar to V neck with the zip being improvised to widen or shallow the V. The quarter zip or half zip is somewhat like T-shirt with emphasis on the neck on your face. Zip neck pullovers for men should be preferably purchased in merino or lambswool to give that aesthetic or casual look.
- These pullovers go well with sports jackets and a pair of jeans for the semi-formal or casual look.
- Pullover hoodies -These are the more recent entries for pullovers for men. The neck can be round or a zipper can be attach. There can be lot of variations to the design like the zipper can run up to Midland awful like in jackets. It is also called pullover sweatshirt.
Pullover with hoods for men gives a more sporty or casual look. It is seldom worn for semi-formal or formal wear. Pair it with T-shirts, chinos or jeans for that casual sporty look. It gives the extra protection to the head from cold winds, especially in winter months. With the contemporary designers in their quest for different looks have played with some of the styles from the basic necklines. These like the hoods or strings attached to necklines have appealed to the wearer.
Pullover Design And Colour
Variations in pullover for men can be brought about by colour or design. Pullovers for men are being designed in soft pastel colours rather than the orthodox male colours.
Pullovers for men are no longer designed in usual colours. Designers are now experimenting from bold geometric three-dimensional prints, animal prints and letter prints.
Now that you know all about the quality and design of pullovers for men, let’s find out some other points to consider before making the best buy in pullovers.
Pullovers are usually loose fit over your shirt that is it is a secondary garment. But that will not mean you can wear an extra large size. The size of your pullover will be directly proportional to your suitability. So it is important to measure as in shirts. At least ensure some minimum measurements like:
- Chest size- Pullovers fit should be hugging, slightly fitted but not restricting or too loose.
- Sleeve length- This is measured from the top of your shoulder to wrist bone.
- Pullover length- This depends on the design. But the usual rule is to measure from back of your collar to the waist.
Taking a size larger than your requirement is okay as animal fabrics have the tendency to shrink. Plus if you take proper care or follow the instructions on the tag the pullover will retain its shape and size.
Colours And Patterns
Colours add zing to your Pullovers. Initially, you can stick to some basic colours before experimenting on some jazzy hues. Like:
When choosing colours look that goes well with your skin tone and hair colour. Also go in for solid colours as it is more versatile.
Pullover patterns for men can either be knitted or designed. Basically it need not be too intricate. Bold designs like geometric prints are preferable depending upon individual taste.
The cost or price of pullover will depend on material, style, fit and colour or pattern. So it is best to choose wisely while not compromising on any.
Advantages of Pullover for Men
- Worn for casual or semi-casual settings.
- Trendy, helps in layering.
Disadvantages of Pullover for Men
- Not ideal for formal wear.
- Usually becomes bulky.