Cardigans For Men
One can say cardigans are sweater that have open front. Because of the easy wearing ability and style it’s considered a more casual alternative to the blazer. Slowly due to innovative designs cardigans became a style statement for men.
So if you are a man looking for cardigan or what to wear this summer, you have arrived at the right place because we have a lot to discuss about.
The History Of Cardigan Style
Cardigans during the 60s were really something. You could have turned your head around and there would be someone wearing a cardigan. The style wasn't anything out of the box, there were two types of cardigans mainly, one was solid and the other was patterned. It went so popular that it almost become a TV host outfit replacing the suit for a time.
Then it went out from the site for some time...but it was actually started getting popular in India because Bollywood's superstars were romancing on the big screen wearing patterned cardigans.
In this 21st century, cardigans are much more than solid and patterned. You would see Akshay Kumar wearing a much light weighted long length cardigan with no closure whatsoever. That kind of style is really famous these days. More and more men are adapting to it and loving it as well.
That being said it doesn't mean there are more styles. From runaways to street style, there are more than enough styles in cardigans that can cater to a bigger and wider audience.
The Styles Of Cardigans
Now that we are talking about style of cardigans, it should be noted that it is a little difficult to just name a style. Some cardigans have different lengths, some different patterns and then there are factors like sleeve. All these factors together make out the cardigan and it’s style. That’s why we are going to look at each of them one by one and breakdown cardigan styles.
Originally the cardigan’s length just ended on the waist, but nowadays as been mentioned long cardigans are in too!
- The “Normal” : Taking an example would be much easy, so let's take a classic length like Navy Blue Wool Cardigan From ManHood which stops exactly at the waist. You can also consider this the “normal” size. This is the length you can find easily and has been around decade. Lest we forget cardigans were invented in this size.
- High Low : Now for an example of Grey Cotton Cardigan From Chill Winston, it’s a high low length where the back ends at the waist but the front hangs just above the thighs. This high low fashion actually came after the long cardigans. In some sense, the long cardigans become high low slowly with the transaction of time.
- The “Long” : Talking about that we can actually include the high low in the long category technically. It’s just that it’s more convenient to say that the long ones are those that are equally long from both the front and the back. Long cardigans really made a lot of buzz when they debuted around early 00s but they become much more popular in late 00s.
Just like any other garment, the cardigans are available in different sleeve sizes and that impacts the style.
- Long Sleeves : The most popular for the obvious reason that they cover your whole body during the winter and also they look effortlessly stylish. Apart from the cold temperature protection, they also bring a good sophisticated look in terms of style. You Can Buy- Peter England Blue Cotton Cardigan
- Short Sleeves : This is something you can pair with other winter clothes or wear as it during the start of winter or when it’s not that cold enough. Pairing them with thermals could work just fine. Whatever you pair them with, they will work just fine. You Can Buy- KULTPRIT Light Blue Colour Block Cotton Cardigan
- Sleeveless : These are actually something that are trending in fashion, it is considered a good alternative for a fancy jacket. Pair it with a tee and you got yourself a casual look of a three piece suit. Sleeveless in long cardigans are a huge hit in the fashion market. You Can Buy- Bonaty Grey Cotton Cardigan
The Prints & Patterns
This is something that people usually defines a garment with because it really does changes the look. You have to decide according to the pattern what and what not are you going to work on. It may also show your personality.
- Solids : The best choice when you have decided your color or are looking for something more simple. Some colors like navy blue and black are must have. Others could be paired up with contrasting colors to get best out of it. You Can Buy- Peter England Blue Cotton or Casual Tees Black Fleece Cardigan
- Checks : Checks are just something that goes with every piece of garment and cardigans are no exceptions. Red and Black are some of the most evergreen checked cardigans. To be honest checked pattern works with every color. You Can Buy- ManHood Red Wool Cardigan
- Geometric : You might have noticed how most of the sweaters have some sought of beautiful geometric pattern. It’s not that common to find them in cardigans, but luckily you are at limeroad so go ahead if you geometry is your thing! Just kidding. You Can Buy- LE BOURGEOIS Black Wool Cardigan
- Stripes : Another one of the classics, the stripes are a style that goes with the theme of the cardigan so that’s a win-win. What some people don't realize is that strips could be different not just in terms of color but how the stripe look. You Can Buy- Prakum Navy Blue Striped Wool Cardigan
How To Style A Cardigan?
Now that we are done with understanding a cardigan style, let’s talk about matching this style with your whole look. You don't have to worry about it too much though, cardigans were meant to be more casual. So you have a lot of room to play around with the styling and making a good look out of it.
But understanding that you might have different needs for different times, so we are gonna divide the how to style section to formal, casual, active and ethnic wear.
Style Formal Cardigan
- Top Wear : It is essential to wear a more soft or light color in comparison to your cardigan like white, off white, cream. Colors like that works well.
- Bottom Wear : Chinos or even good old pants are a good option to choose from. Even formal trousers could work out. Things like that go with cardigan more.
- Shoes : Instead of oxford shoes, go for loafers which defines the style even more.
- Accessories : Your watch would be just enough to complete this look but if it’s chilly out there muffler are a useful and stylish addition.
Style Casual Cardigan
- Top Wear : Tees are the most popular choice, even sandos can workout.
- Bottom Wear : It’s casual it’s jeans and one can’t go wrong with denim, isn’t that right?
- Shoes : You can go with any casual shoes but the best choice would be casual slip ons. Simple yet classic.
- Accessories : Casual time is fun time and you can put more fun it by experimenting with your accessories, bracelets and hats would be fun while glasses can add the cool in your warm look.
Style ActiveWear Cardigan
- Top Wear : A tee with a little graphic work could the funky vibe to make up for a sporty look or go for a more pop colored solid tee.
- Bottom Wear : Joggers would be just fine if you need to dress up for something then you might choose casual trousers too.
- Shoes : Is that even a question? Go for sports shoes, no doubt about it! Nothing can give a more active wear look than sports shoes.
- Accessories : You can add hand, elbow bands or sports cap to your look. Also, another thing you can add would be your fit band.
- Top Wear : Cardigans in ethnic may come as a surprise to many but it could be done with the right kind of kurta!
- Bottom Wear : There is a good choice here between pajama and trousers. Both work out really good with a traditional kurta.
- Shoes : You can go with jootis but even a good pair of black or brown shoes would work out just fine.
- Accessories : Well it’s ethnic so you have to add a little something extra, you can wear chains, it actually compliments the neck of the cardigan. Other accessories like bracelets, rings would be fun.
Let’s just remember that these are some suggestions, everyone dresses according to their personalities and there is no boundary to fashion. One can only suggest.
If you would love to buy some of the product mention then you can log on to limeroad. Don’t stop there though, there are much more cardigans on the online shopping website where you are sure to find your own style.