Bikinis are so passé, monokinis are the swimwear to own right now! But what is a monokini? Think of it as a cross between a one-piece swimsuit and a bikini. A monokini looks like a one-piece swimsuit with cut-outs at various areas like the stomach or near the legs or arms, although the lines between a one piece and monokini can be blurred. They give you the coverage like that of a one-piece swimsuit and the sizzle factor like that of a bikini.
Monokinis are versatile because they are available in so many varieties and cuts. You can choose a monokini according to the type of cut and colour/pattern that will look best with your body type. Have we given you enough reasons to grab a monokini? We sure hope so!
Monokini is yet another type of women's swimsuit that consists essentially of one piece instead of two pieces. Monokini historically means topless swimsuit with straps, but changes in design make it wearable. A bikini is a swimsuit with two pieces of clothes and three pieces are called trikini. This one piece of strap swimsuit clothes is a monokini, as its name suggests, Mono is one.
There are different designs that have truly transformed bikinis in the recent past and Monokini is one of them, with a unique clothing design, very sexy in nature and actually covers most of your body parts, including your abdomen. It is essentially a single piece of bikini, but the cut shows more skin. Sometimes they are pretty tiny suspenders that only cover the nipples.
Monokini Or Bikini?
Well, you know what a bikini is, but a lot if you draw a blank. Think of them as if bikini and a single piece were married and had children and they were called monkinis. In general, monokinis serve the same purpose as bikinis to fit comfortably with more fabric only. It has also become its own style with women who wear revealing suits, but still come in one piece. They often look very elegant with patterns that match curves and cool patterns.
If you think the beach day is essential, one of the first things you probably think of is a bangini. But rocking a barely two piece is not the only way to drop your jaws at your next party or shoreline. Sure, the ol' good one-piece is there, but why stop there? Take a look at Rihanna's style icon and all-around badass and embrace the monokini for a #OOTD waterfront that is straightforward goals. With show stops without compromise on coverage, the monokini gives you the best of both worlds while distinguishing yourself from the package. Drop the LBB (little black bikini) and snatch one of these swimsuits as soon as possible.
And if you’re looking for a bit of extra coverage without going full-blown one-piece, you can choose the pulled together stylish tankini options too. Get it, girl!
There are so many colours to choose from light pastels to sultry deep hues. There are even monokinis in bright hues that will catch all eyes. Black is a timeless colour that suits everyone.
Some popular patterns that you can choose from include:
Solid coloured monokinis look simple, yet so stylish. Light colours are appropriate for the uninitiated soul, but if you want a daring look, think bright colours. Neutral colours will always be in vogue, a black solid monokini can be made interesting with cuts and see-through panels.
Prints are a fun way to splash in the pool in style. There are options for the faint at heart and the brave alike!
Here are some prints that we recommend for summer:
- Stripe Print: Stripes have a naturally beachy look today and are a classic pattern for beach and pool wear. You can also use stripes cleverly to complement your body type, not only does a vertical stripe swimsuit look nautical chic, it also elongates your body and makes you look lean.
- Animal Print: Go wild with the variety of animal print swimsuits available in the market! You can either go colourful, or choose more understated colours for a more luxe look. Try metallic hues to really shine bright among the crowd.
- Floral Prints: Floral prints are evergreen in their appeal, they add an instant touch of femininity to any outfit. Floral printed swimsuits can add that perfect kick of summer to your pool routine. Large attractive floral prints will make for a Hawaii holiday look, while smaller prints in softer colours are a tamer way to wear the trend.
- Polka Dot Print: Polka dots are a timeless choice for swimsuit patterns, polka dot one pieces look retro. A polka dot monokini is a stepped-up version of this staple, this print in its monokini form with unexpected cuts will up the heat this summer.
- Tropical Print: Tropical prints are hot in 2018, patterns like palm trees and floral in bright hues are a look reminiscent of summer. Wear a blue-green hued monokini in a tropical print to look cool for the summer.
Monokinis are available in so many cuts, you’ll be left scratching your head! The key is to choose a cut that flatters your body type and enhances your best features.
- Cut out stomach: A monokini with a cut out on the stomach can help accentuate your midriff. They look quite sexy as the cut out detail immediately draws the eye. Wear this style if you have a toned stomach. Try a small cut out if you’re feeling anxious about coverage just to add a little something to your look.
- Cut out sides: Cut out sides can be used to create a variety of look. Curved side cutouts will suit athletic straight body types, they can create curves where there are none. Straight cutouts in the sides can look tantalizing yet give you enough coverage to feel comfortable.
- High cut: High cut monokinis have cuts at the legs that extend high, sometimes exposing the hipbone. These types of swimsuits look alluring and they have the added advantage of making one’s legs look longer.
- Boyshort cut: Boyshort cut monokinis have legs with more coverage in the front and the rear, they are like boyshort style underwear. If you do not like much exposure on the bottom part of your monokini, go for this cut.
- Strapless: Strapless monokinis add an instant oomph to your look, they add an effortless sexiness to one’s beachwear as they show off the neck and shoulders. Strapless monokinis in metal tones can make anyone look like a goddess!
- Halter Neck: Halter neckline monokinis have straps that go around the neck. Thick strapped halter necks are great for those with heavy busts because they offer more support than their slim-strapped counterparts.
- Thick Strap: If halter necks aren’t your thing, but you still need support on your top half, go for monokinis with wide straps as these offer support and prevent your strap sinking into your skin from pressure and making you uncomfortable.
- Spaghetti strap: If you have a smaller bust, and like strappy swimsuits, try a monokini with spaghetti straps. These are ideal for people with smaller busts as they won’t put much pressure on your shoulders and they look as hot as the summer sun!
- High Back: If you carry fat on your back and dread it bulging through your monokini, do not worry! Just choose a high back monokini to look fabulous, you can choose one with vibrant thick straps for a kick!
- Low Back: A woman’s back is one of the most attractive parts of her body, why not show off yours? Get a monokini with a low back to scorch the poolside this summer season!
These are some styles you can consider when on the lookout for a monokini:
One shoulder Monokini: One shoulder monokinis look forever fashionable. Beyoncé’s music video for “Single Ladies” featured an iconic off shoulder leotard that certainly made her look fierce! Take inspiration from Queen Bey herself and try an off shoulder monokini. The asymmetric shoulder adds a dose of glam to a monokini. One shoulder monokinis suit people with broad upper bodies.
Tankini: A tankini is a swimsuit with a tank top like top, and a bikini bottom. There are styles of monokinis that have the look of a tankini.
Decorated Top/Bottom: Sometimes, monokinis have concentrated decoration either on the bottom half or the top half. Decorations include printed patterns or embellishments. You can choose where the decoration lies to balance your body type. For instance, you can choose a monokini with a plain bottom and a patterned top if you have a pear-shaped body.
Sheer panels: If you feel tentative about sporting cutouts in your swimsuit, try sheer panels! Sheer panels are a fun way to play around with skin exposure without making you feel overexposed. Well placed sheer panels can up your look.
There’s a monokini for every woman that will make her best! Let us help you find the one!
Heavy Top: If the top half of your body appears heavier than the bottom half, use skirt like silhouettes, flares and prints creatively to draw the eye and balance out your body.
Heavy Bottom: If the lower half of your body looks heavier than the top half bring emphasis to your top half by use of fun prints, embellishments, ruffles and cuts.
Straight shape: If you have a straight body shape with less curves, take a monokini with curved side cut-outs to create the illusion of curves. You can use sheer panels similarly.
Curvy shape: Accentuate the natural curves of your body with fun patterns and cuts. Use a deep v neckline to compliment your cleavage. Boyshort cuts suit thick thighs.
Some other tips to make your swimsuit truly suit you - strategically placed colour-block patterns can help draw the eye to specific parts of your body. The same goes for prints and cutouts. If you like the feeling of being covered but are bored of the quintessential one piece, a monokini with sheer panels can do wonders to flatter your body.
How To Choose The Right Monokini?
You will surely find the best monokini for you on Limeroad! One important part of getting the right monokini is making sure it fits well, for this refer to the size chart on Limeroad when looking at the product page for a monokini of your choice. Not only does Limeroad have a vast variety of high impact monokinis to choose from, there are monokinis available at every price point. So you can buy new swimwear without breaking the bank! There’s more, you can see collections others have curated in case you need inspiration, or create your own! The possibilities are endless, so wait no longer, Limeroad has lots to offer!
Shop Only At LimeRoad
So have you decided where to shop monokinis from? Still wondering, are you? Head over to LimeRoad and make this fashion platform your one-stop destination! Also, don’t forget to download our mobile app to avail the occasional discounts and offers! Happy Shopping!!!