Bowls For Kitchen And Dining
Bowls are the indispensable part of cooking ware essentials when it comes to eating or serving the food. From ancient Greeks to Indus civilization people, bowls were used since long time back.
Now the hot trends of Bowl foods where entire meal is served in a bowl have further popularised bowls usage. Eating in the bowl is not only convenient but beneficial from a health point of view, as we tend to eat less in bowls as compared to platters. So there are many reasons to own a new bowl not for just cooking and serving but for aesthetic reasons as well.
Bowls can be categorised into different types in terms of material used in making them, purpose and utility and so on. Now let’s check some of the different types of Bowls.
Bowls can be of different types depending upon the material used in manufacturing them.
Metals are a good conductor of heat because of this property metal bowls is widely used for making serving and mixing bowl. These are the most traditionally used bowls when it comes to Indian cooking ware. Used for cooking, serving and now are used as aesthetic decorative pieces. Available in different sizes and shapes, metal bowls are a must-have of every kitchen. There are varied metals used in making bowls like
Stainless Steel Bowls
These bowls are used for different purposes like cooking, serving, storing. Can have lids or without lids. Shiny beautiful in appearance, steel bowls are quite a popular utensil. Stainless steel bowls are easy to use, easy in maintenance and long lasting. They are available in different sizes and shapes.
Copper bowls are used since ages but there use for cooking and serving purposes is declining and now only confined to the layer of copper used as a base over steel. But still, copper bowls are quite popular as serving bowls in restaurants these days. Copper serving and mixing bowls look beautiful, they can have smooth or hammered surfaces. Available in different sizes, thickness and shapes, they can be an aesthetic addition to your kitchenware. With or without lids and with or without handle, copper serving bowl commonly called as haandi can add royal elegance to your dining decor.
For that rustic elegance to your kitchenware, Iron bowls will definitely serve the purpose. Made from Cast iron, these seasoned Iron bowls will keep your food hot for longer period of time.
Pros Of Metal Bowls
- They are a good conductor of heat, Metal bowls keep food hot for a long time.
- Strong, easy to care and durable.
Cons Of Metal Bowls
- Microwave unsafe.
- Certain food can’t be stored like acidic and milk as they can react with it.
- Heavy as compared to other material.
Ceramic utensils have been used from ancient times that can be traced back from Chinese and Greek civilization. Ceramic utensils are also extensively used in present day especially Ceramic bowls are one of the widely used and loved bowls around the world. Ceramic bowls are not only known to be very usable cooking ware but they are loved for being an artefact piece. Ceramic bowls are available in tremendous gorgeous colours with fine designs and patterns. Crafted in beautiful floral designs to geometric patterns, these ceramic bowls are a kitchenware essential.
Ceramic bowls are available in various contemporary and traditional designs. Ceramic Bowls are ideal for use as a serving bowl and for decorating purposes also.
- Microwave and dishwasher safe.
- Even heat distribution.
- Non-reactive to acids
- Easy to clean.
- Stronger than glass bowl.
- Aesthetically appealing.
- Surface chipping.
- Sometimes coating or glazing of ceramic bowls may contain toxic elements like lead.
Glass bowls are one of the extensively used bowls, they can be found in every kitchen across the world. Available in different shape and size, with or without lids, they are mainly used as a serving bowl.
- Microwave safe and dishwasher safe.
- Nonreactive to acidic food items.
- Easy to clean.
Bone China Bowls
As the name suggests Bone china is originated from China and is a type of porcelain made up of bone ash, kaolin and feldspar. Bone china bowls are translucent appearing and are quite stronger among other porcelain and ceramic bowls. Bone china bowls are ornate and have beautiful designs that perfect for special occasions.
- Beautiful designs
- Fine and lightweight.
- Not suitable for vegetarians and vegan as they are made up of bone ash.
Melamine bowls are one of the most common types of bowls found in the contemporary kitchen. Melamine bowls are used as serving or mixing bowls. Available in strikingly beautiful colours and designs they are quite famous among children.
- Easy to clean.
- Dishwashing safe.
- Available in a variety of designs and colours.
- Not microwaved safely.
Plastic bowls are mainly used for storing purposes. Available in different colour and shapes, Plastic bowls are quite common.
- Not safe for microwave use.
Though not used commonly as a kitchenware Wood bowls are slowly but steadily gaining popularity. Available in eye-catchy designs and shape, wood bowls worth to be an addition to our dinnerware. Wood bowls are made from Pine, bamboo, hazel and Sheesham wood. Can be used as a serving bowl and for storage purposes.
- Environment-friendly and biodegradable.
- Available in unique designs.
- Microwave and dishwasher unsafe.
On the basis of utility, Bowls can be categorised as the following types:
These bowls are used for the purpose of serving cooked food that could be hot or cold. The serving bowls can vary in shape, size and designs. Quite often serving bowls are aesthetically decorative and are used for special occasions, festivities dinner, formal dinners or social gathering. And regular serving bowls are simply used to everyday food.
Some of the examples of serving bowls are:
- Salad Bowls-Salad Bowls are for serving Salads. They can be large to medium in size and of different shapes. Generally, the best material for salad bowls is ceramic, porcelain, glass and wood.
- Snacks Bowls-Bowls used for serving snacks like dry fruits or chips are called snack bowls. These bowls can be large to medium sized and made up of plastic, melamine, glass, ceramic materials. Snack bowls can have a lid to cover.
- Dip Bowls/Fondue bowls-These bowls are small bowls in which different dips for chips, poppadom and fries, chutneys, fondue and sauces are served. Available in different unique shapes, these are made up of ceramics, bone china, glass, fine china material.
Bowls used specifically for the purpose of eating are called eating bowls; they can be of different shapes like round, oval or square and medium to small size. Generally eating bowls are made up of Porcelain, Ceramic, Bone china, Fine China, Glass and melamine. They are beautifully decorated with medium to a shallow depth.
Some of the eating bowls examples are as follows.
- Pasta Bowls-Pasta Bowls are large generally not deep bowls and spherical in shape are used for serving hot simmering pasta. Ceramic, Bone china, Fine China materials are used in making pasta bowls.
- Cereal Bowls- Cereal bowls can be made up of materials like glass, melamine, ceramic, bone china. They are available in different shape and size and are usually deep in depth.
- Rice Bowls- In some countries like America and China they are quite common to serve rice dishes. Can be of material glass, porcelain, bone china etc.
- Dessert Bowls- For serving sweets like ice cream or Indian delicacies popularly known as Mithai or Kheer, desserts bowls are used. They are usually small in size and round, spherical or square in shape. For serving hot deserts glass, porcelain, bone china, fine china, metal desserts bowls are best but for cold dessert Plastic, melamine, bone china, glass metal desserts bowls can be used.
Bowls used for storing food like dry fruits, snacks or fridge storage of food are known as storage bowls. They are provided with a lid to airtight the bowl. Plastics and melamine are the best storage bowls although other options are also widely used.
Apart from eating and serving purposes Bowls can be used as decorative artefacts. Beautifully designed and colourful copper, ceramic, porcelain bowls can be a classy addition to your living room decoration.
Discover the full range of quality loose Bowls on Limeroad.
You can find a plethora of options in colour, material, shape and size to choose from.
Related search terms: crockery, china dishes, fruit bowl, tableware, serving bowls, mixing bowl, wooden bowls, sugar bowl, ceramic bowls, plastic bowls