Handkerchiefs For Men
Who would expect that a simple square piece of cloth could hold so many memories of sadness, loss, joy, hope, happiness, and love in their evanescent folds? There are stories of some “hankies”, as they are playfully called, have been saved for decades. True collectors have handkerchiefs that stretch much farther back in time, for these keepsakes were special to someone, and were thus saved, and survived for us to savor. Handkerchiefs have been with us in the small moments like dabbing a baby’s chin, wrapping a child’s cut finger, catching a tear while watching Titanic for the hundredth time, and also the major moments like a bride’s tears of joy, a widow’s deep despair, an award reception etc. When men in battle didn't have a white flag to raise in surrender, they used a white handkerchief to raise instead to signify defeat. When it’s hot because of the weather or the temperatures are rising because your boss is on your head, carrying a handkerchief is a life saver. It won’t change the weather and absolutely nothing as far as your boss is concerned but a handkerchief will definitely save you from looking like an untidy tool that has to resort to your shirt sleeve for wiping your brow.
If there is one fashion accessory that fits all budgets and styles, it’s the men's handkerchiefs. But there is an inverse relationship between the popularity of a handkerchief and the rise of our germaphobe culture. The society today sprays the air with disinfectant to rid of those pesky bacteria and totes hand sanitizer on key chains looks. Disposable tissues are all the hype now. There are people who probably think the handkerchief is too dirty even for daily use. But, grow up! you’re a man, and there’s nothing wrong with a little bit of sweat or snot. Handkerchiefs don’t need to be fancy. Just a plain white one will do the job. But there’s nothing wrong with going for a little style. You can have your initials embroidered to add a touch of class. They are generally pretty cheap, so you won’t have to worry about giving them out to other people and not asking them back. It’s better to have some extras back home. Shop from the collection of high-quality handkerchiefs from Limeroad and add a little sophistication to your lifestyle.
Reasons To Carry A Handkerchief
Now, practically nobody under the age of 85 carries a handkerchief anymore. This most practical and manly of everyday items has unfortunately been relegated to the superficial position of a colorful showpiece in the front pocket of a man’s formal attire. This is disappointing because a handkerchief has hundreds of uses that a tissue just wasn’t meant to handle, and it shows a lot of class to always be prepared with one when the need arises.
Here are some reasons to persuade you in the direction of carrying a handkerchief with you:
- Cleanliness: They can perform the nose tidying functions of a tissue without becoming torn or worn out, and you don’t have to constantly throw them away, thus saving money and packaging waste. It’s also nice to have something to wipe off the sweat or dirt off your face when the need arises and a good quality handkerchief is a perfect tool for this And yeah, they can come in handy in case of an accidental spill.
- Chivalry: They can be charmingly offered to a woman when she tears up at the chick flick she insisted on seeing, and allowing her to keep it gives her a unique reminder of her date with you. “A gentleman carries a handkerchief, not for himself, but in case a lady needs one.” Yeah, cheeky, but it’s the truth. Nothing says I’m here and ready to take care of you if you need me than being able to offer a handkerchief to your woman when she needs it. Therefore, as a true gentleman, you should always carry a clean handkerchief and be ready to offer it in times of need.
- Hygiene: This one is pretty clear, although a lot of people might argue that tissue is better for this purpose. A tissue is not decent, not classy and you can’t be disposing tissues around the places after blowing your nose or wiping off snots dripping down. This is one of the many reasons why a handkerchief is perfect for this purpose.
- Classy: They say, a gentleman knows how to shake hands and is ready to do so. For a great handshake, you should always ensure your hand is dry. and if your hand is cold from holding a cold drink or if your palms get sweaty naturally, you can wipe it with a clean handkerchief.
- A pocket square: You can use a clean white handkerchief as a pocket square on your suit jackets or your native attires. It must be a good quality white handkerchief made of cotton. It has to be clean and well ironed. Then, it must be folded. There are many ways to fold it but a presidential fold (square fold) is the preferred choice.
How To Choose A Handkerchief
Some people may think that handkerchiefs are outdated or are only decorative pieces for suits, but fashionable men know that sporting them in suit pockets or simply having one is a smart move.
Some factors you need to consider while carrying a handkerchief are:
- The fabric: Most plain handkerchiefs are made of an easy to care for fabric like cotton, but fancy pocket squares are made of silk or linen. When it comes to wearing a handkerchief as an accessory, the type of fold you want to do depends on the material. The most commonly used materials are cotton, linen, polyester, silk, satin etc.
- The fold: There are many stylish ways for men to fold their handkerchiefs, which are called pocket squares when used to accessorize a suit. The methods range from simple to complex, but if you are interested in presenting a fashionable image, you should be willing to experiment. Some of the most common fold designs you'll find for men's handkerchiefs include Presidential, TV, One point, Two-point, Three-point, Four-point, Cagney, Straight shell and so on.
- Personalization: A set of personalized handkerchiefs are great to have and also make a the perfect gift item for men. Simple yet elegant messages are woven or embroidered on the kerchief triangle with colors and hues that define a sober yet classic sense of taste. Generally available in a set of three/four, they look crisp, traditional and have a personalized touch.
- Vintage Handkerchiefs: Vintage handkerchiefs are one amongst the most luxuriant accessories for men. They have intricate detailing like the hand rolled edges and embroidery to lend a classy demeanor to the handpiece. This is ideal for weddings, especially for the bride's father; they may come handy to wipe a tear or two.
- Accessorize: When you realize that a handkerchief is more than a functional piece of material, the possibilities of how to accessorize it with your clothing become more interesting. The color and fold style you choose will be highly personal. You could find you prefer to wear one type of pocket square style to others, or you could enjoy trying all of the various techniques just to switch things up.
Browse through Limeroad’s classy collection of every day and classy handkerchiefs and put your best foot forward towards becoming a perfect gentleman.
Be A Man With A Class
Like all other things, even carrying a handkerchief has an etiquette you need to follow.
Here are some simple rules you need to follow so you’re known as a classy gentleman:
- You should always carry a clean, folded handkerchief every day. You don’t have to iron them all the time, but it certainly makes them that much crisper and more attractive. You can get away with taking the same handkerchief for two days in a row if you haven’t used it for anything, but no more than that, as the dust and sweat from your pocket can build up in them unknowingly.
- Be aware of what the state of your handkerchief is. The last thing you want to do is whip it out to offer to a girl or to use for yourself without realizing that you just blew your nose in it earlier that day.
- You should offer your handkerchief freely. If anyone around you, especially a lady, appears to need a handkerchief for any reason, offer them your handkerchief immediately. If you become known as a person who cares about the comfort of those around him more than his personal possessions, people with respect you more as a gentleman and they will be more comfortable around you.
- It’s not polite to ask for your handkerchief back once you’ve given it away. People can use them for whatever they want, but there might be a good reason why they don’t want to give it back like they would be embarrassed handing you back a bunch of their snot; so that’s okay. If they give it back, great, but you should always be ready to sacrifice a handkerchief to someone who needed it. Treat your handkerchiefs like something that you will obviously keep and reuse, but know that they are relatively cheap, so don’t sweat if you lose one or need to throw one away.
- If a handkerchief gets stained, don’t carry it. A stain of blood, oil, dirt, or whatever that doesn’t seem to wash out means that it’s time to retire a hank from use. Your handkerchief should always start each day pristine and clean, and an irremovable spot doesn’t look good to anyone, including yourself. You don’t have to throw it out. You can keep using it as a rag or a lens cloth or whatever else you think it could still function as.
The handkerchief has been a staple of a man’s pocket gear for centuries, but unfortunately, it has been faded out of use in favor of cheaper, lower quality products. A gentleman, however, knows there is no substitute for a clean, white cotton handkerchief in his pocket for the never-ending myriad of uses that arise throughout his busy day. So be ready to move as a gentleman by shopping for handkerchiefs from Limeroad. All the styles you need, in all the fabrics, personalization, you can count on Limeroad to bring it to your doorstep. Shop away!