Three-Fourths For Men
Some time ago, three-fourths were predominantly only meant for children. Soon, three-fourths were introduced into military uniforms both for comfort in warmer climates and because of fabric rationing. Since then, three-fourths have been working their way into mainstream menswear in a variety of fabrics and prints.
Choose The Right Three Fourths
It seems like most men are still pretty anxious about this relatively modern wardrobe staple, and there are a lot of questions on how to wear three fourths without looking lazy or childish.
There are two important factors that decide if the three fourth is right for you; the fit and the color.
The Fit: Three-fourths are inherently a comfortable, casual piece of clothing that is meant to provide freedom of movement while keeping you cool. The fit goes hand in hand with your body shape and the secret is knowing basic proportion standards. Short three fourths will make you look taller than you actually are. Fitted/tighter three fourths will look good on slim guys and slim three fourths will make a larger guy look smaller. On the other hand, three fourths that are too wide around the legs don’t work to anyone’s advantage.
Here is how you should consider your height while choosing three fourths:
- Tall Guys: Take care that the hem doesn’t get pulled up on your thigh too much. That will make you feel uncomfortable and make it difficult to walk properly. That would go against the principle of wearing three fourths at all. Two to three inches below the knee would be just perfect.
- Short Guys: You should go for the same principle as above, but upside down. If your three-fourths are too long and the hem falls below your knee, not going for that pair would be a smart idea. If you want to make that particular pair work, try to see how it would look if you roll them up a little bit. Getting them tailored is a good option, but avoid three fourths that are too long as they give a lousy look and can make you look shorter.
Built Guys: Most guys with a bit of meat on them make the big mistake to buy the largest pair of three-fourths thinking it might make them look slimmer. But in reality, larger three fourths will give you a baggy and messy appearance. Stick to your regular size as that is the trick to pulling off a stylish summer outfit.The Colour: Many of the guys keep it simple when it comes to the color of the three fourths. That’s why most of them just get lost in the crowd. Black, navy, burgundy, grey or khaki three-fourths are the favorites as these are versatile and easy to look after, but aren’t the only options you can try this summer. Have fun and throw in a bit of color, pattern, or print. No one will judge you if you wear pastel three fourths, camouflage print, or even the white three fourths. If you aim to stand out just a little bit then lightly colored three fourths would be best. If you are more courageous and want to make a statement, patterned or print three-fourths works wonders.
- Bold colored three-fourths: Colors like dark green, blue, red, or yellow are just some suggestions. If you go down this route, make sure the three-fourths are of high quality to avoid the color washing off in the washing machine. Also, the three fourths should be the only strong color in our entire attire.
- White three-fourths: These are best matched with boat shoes. It’s the classic French Riviera look that never goes out of style. A t-shirt will work, but the best match would be a pastel shirt.
- Patterned three-fourths: Everyone has at least one pair of patterned three fourths, but very few manage pulled them off. You can wear these with a blazer, summer jacket, even a shacket.
Styling The Three Fourths
When it comes to styles, Limeroad offers a variety of options to work with. Trendy three-fourths come and go every season like every other clothing items and style is a matter of knowing what works best for you. As three-fourths are a casual attire, there are not proper formal rules you need to follow, so you have a lot of freedom to try on countless looks until you get the one the fits. The style has to reflect your personality, put you in a good light, and give you confidence.
Here is how you can personalize your outfit:
- Shirts: One of the easiest options to pull off is the polo shirt. Choose a thin cotton long-sleeved shirt to wear with the three fourths. Fabrics such as linen or silk can also be great options.
- Belts: Put the thick heavy belts away as it’s time for something that is light and thin. In all honesty, belts other than leather are a good choice since the attire is meant to be casual.
- T-shirts: Monochrome T-shirts are the best, but pastels work just as good. Avoid dark t-shirts, unless you are going for that specific look. Polo shirts are a great piece to have when the warm weather strikes as they’re more breathable and comfortable.
- Outerwears: Everything from light blazers to bomber jackets or shackets will complement a pair of three fourths. Match smart or chino three fourths with a blazer, denim three fourths to a shacket, and twill three fourths to a bomber jacket to get the best look.
- Socks: Socks can be tricky, especially since it is the summer. Go sockless if you feel like it or simply invest in a pair of invisible socks that give the illusion of wearing none, as these will leave your shoes smelling a bit fresher.
- Shoes: Loafers and boat shoes with three-fourths are perfect for the summer in case you are aiming for a smart casual outfit. If you want to keep the outfit casual, match it with trainers or sandals.
Looks You Can Try
Here is a cheat sheet for you to easily create the kinds of look you are aiming for:
- This look is for the guy who knows how to pull off denim. The key piece for this summer look is a pair of denim three fourths.
- To soften the rigidness of the denim, you can match the three fourths with a lighter or pastel colored polo shirt. If you want to go for a regular t-shirt instead, match that to a checked shirt so you stay warm if the night gets cold.
- Accessorize this look with a pair of aviators if you want to go for gold.
- About the shoes, trainers are the best to match with denim three fourths. Vans or a pair of pointers are all choices that will live up to the expectation of a complete American summer look.
- This is for a guy who likes his comfort but not at the expense of looking fly. The key piece here is a pair of cargo three fourths.
- To pull off cargos, you will have to pay attention to the size of the side pockets. If they’re too big, it makes you look baggy, and that is something to be avoided.
- Match them with a white polo t-shirt and you can also on a cap.
- Finish off the look with a simple pair of wayfarers.
- The most suited footwear would be a pair of sandals. Many would pick alternative materials, but stick to leather as it’s the most resistant and cost-effective choice.
- This is for the guy who loves being outdoors, be it at a football practice or firing up the BBQ. The most important item for this look is a pair of sweat three fourths.
- It’s very easy to get the look right as you can match these three fourths to any t-shirt, hoodie, or sweatshirt. You can make a mistake if you wear this outfit in the wrong place.
- In regards to footwear, trainers and running shoes are the best bet with sweat three fourths.
- This is for perfect a guy who wants to look on point 24/7 regardless of the season. The key pieces for the look are the chino and smart three fourths. The secret of making smart three-fourths look good is dressing them up.
- A perfectly ironed shirt, a well-fitted blazer, and a subtle belt and you can take it further and wear a bow tie if you happen to attend a summer party.
- The shoes ought to be loafers or moccasins with three fourths, in suede preferably. These shoes complete the exquisite look and give you an elegant vibe when you actually are very comfy in your three fourths.
Now that you know enough, here are some final thoughts on carrying the three fourths perfectly. Before you buy three fourths, know your body shape and choose accordingly. Don’t wear anything too short. Choose neutral tones if you want to play it safe. Avoid three fourths that are a bit too loud and short. They draw attention right to your crotch area and that's really not where a gentleman wants all of the eyes in the audience to be focused on. Wearing three-fourths is all about being confident enough to embrace your body and not be constricted by what society thinks a “summer body” should look like. As long as you keep in mind the basic proportion rules, you will be safe regarding whichever combination you decide on. And when you put a little thought in it, there is no reason why you shouldn’t pull off three fourths incredibly.
All said and done, Limeroad is your one-stop destination to get everything you want to carry the summer look with flare. Buy some colorful, interesting, fun three fourths from Limeroad today to get through your summer with the ultimate comfort and style!