Bridal Sets- Mangalsutras
Traditional Mangalsutras For Women
Mangalsutra is a chain worn by Indian women as a symbol of marital status. In the traditional Indian marriages, the mangalsutra will be tied around the neck of the bride by the groom and after that, the bride will be traditionally distinguished as a wedded lady in the Indian society. The patterns and designs of Mangalsutra worn by the Indian bride vary depending upon the customs followed by the groom’s family considering their religion, region and community.
Mangalsutra is literally considered to be an auspicious thread worn by the married woman for the well-being and the long life of the husband. It holds a lot of traditional significance. As per the religious customs, the married woman must wear the mangalsutra until her husband’s demise. Mangalsutra is respected to be the strong bond that unites the husband and wife by creating long-lasting happiness between them. It is also believed that the mangalsutra has a vibrant protective power to keep the couple away from the evils by absorbing the negative vibes.
To purchase the traditional mangalsutra, pay a visit to the online stores of LimeRoad and purchase the mangalsutra that is made up of high-quality material and designs matching to your customs and traditions.
Customary Designs of Mangalsutra
India is a traditional country which follows a diverse culture. Each state, religion and communities in India practice a unique traditional wedding customs. So, depending on regional variation, the design and the material of the mangalsutra also vary. In general, mangalsutra is a chain with a set of black, gold or red beads strung together on a black or yellow thread along with a pendant. Some types of mangalsutra come in a gold chain with a golden pendant while some have coral beads with a golden pendant. Even the pendants are also available in different designs as per the customs of the various Indian communities.
Here are few customary designs and patterns of mangalsutra used in the different parts of India.
- Bihari Mangalsutra: As per the Bihari custom and tradition, the married women will wear a mangalsutra, a chain with black beads and a gold pendant.
- Karnataka Mangalsutra- Karthamani Pathak: The Kannadigas wear mangalsutra that contains two hollow vatis, a circular golden plate along with semi-precious stones, corals, pearls and black beads. Karthamani Pathak is one of the popular pieces of jewellery which are equivalent to Mangalsutra. It contains a gold chain or a black thread chain made of corals, black beads and golden beads along with a large gold coin-sized pendant with Goddess Lakshmi engraving. The gold pendant is generally embellished with rubies, freshwater pearls and cobra designs.
- Kashmiri Mangalsutra: Kashmiris follow a unique style of wearing the mangalsutra and are very superstitious about the rituals of mangalsutras. On the event of marriage, the bride will wear an almond-shaped gold ear ornament on both the ears. The ear ornament has a gold chain or any colored thread that extends up to the chest.
- Kerala Mangalsutra: The Kerala Hindus use Ela Thali and the Syrian Christians in Kerala use Minnu as mangalsutras. Ela Thali or Elaga Thali is a leaf-shaped gold pendant which contains Om symbol on it. A minnu is a heart-shaped gold pendant which contains 13 gold beads arranged in a cross shape. The pendant is worn together with a gold chain or a black beaded chain.
- Maharashtrian Mangalsutra: In Maharashtra, women wear mangalsutras that have double-stranded gold and black beaded chain with two bowl-shaped vatis at the center as pendants. The types of black beaded chain and the designs of the pendants worn by Maharashtrians generally vary. Some wear Nirgun, a chain that is only made up of black beads while some wear Shagun, a chain that contains both gold and black beads. Nowadays, the traditional Marathi mangalsutras are also available in modern designs.
- Sindhi Mangalsutra: For Sindhis, mangalsutra is an integral part of the marriage. They usually wear gold mangalsutra chain with gold and black beads.
- Tamil Mangalsutra: The South Indian state of Tamil Nadu gives more importance to Mangalsutra. In Tamil Nadu, the mangalsutra is popularly referred to as Thaali or Thirumangalyam. Tamil Mangalsutras generally contain a gold chain with different gold pendants unique to each caste or subcaste in the Tamil communities. The gold pendants usually come in different shapes and may contain symbols like Shiva Linga, Tulsi, Goddess Meenakshi and Lord Sundareswarar, Plain Bottu, etc. Some traditional pendants have rubies studded on them, but now pendants studded with diamonds or other stones are also widely used.
- Telugu Mangalsutra: In Andhra Pradesh and Telangana, the mangalsutras are referred to as Bottu, Pustelu, Ramar Thali. The Telugu Mangalsutra usually contains two gold coins separated by beads. In the beaded necklace, you can see pearls, corals, black beads, etc. The two circular gold coins are popularly named as Bottu and are available with or without carvings. The Bottu can be worn along with a gold chain or a beaded chain. The Bottu type of mangalsutras come in numerous designs and is worn by married women of Hindu and Muslim communities.
Among all the customary designs of mangalsutra, one can purchase the respective designs suitable to their region, religion and caste. A wide range of traditional mangalsutras in different pendant designs attached together with a gold chain, black beaded chain or a mix of a golden and black beaded chain is available online for purchase at LimeRoad.
Designer Mangalsutra Bridal Sets For Women
The rituals and the customs of the traditional Indian weddings vary depending upon the region and caste but one common practice followed in all the Hindu Marriages from the ancient times till today is the Mangalya Dharanam i.e. the ceremony of wearing a Mangalsutra. In the olden days, a piece of turmeric tied on a sacred yellow thread was traditionally accepted as mangalsutra. But over the years, the trend has changed and now the mangalsutra is available in different shapes and designs. Each Indian state and communities have their own version of mangalsutras. Nowadays designer mangalsutras suitable for ethnic wears and western wears are also available for women to meet the religious and social expectations of the country in a more stylish manner.
The fancy mangalsutras come in a wide variety of innovative designs with different styles of chain and pendants. The modern and innovative designs of mangalsutra include floral patterns, zigzags, layered designs, stone encrusted and other elegant patterns. Often mangalsutras made up of gold will be preferred by the traditional Indian women, but now the mangalsutras made up of alloy, brass, copper, American diamonds and other materials with classy designs are also worn by the married woman.
The length of the mangalsutra is usually short or long and is also available in a lightweight with simple designs. The lightweight designer mangalsutras can be worn for daily use. For any special occasions, one can pick heavy-weight mangalsutras embellished with rich designs and wear it along with their traditional attires.
Nowadays the bridal jewellery sets come in a variety of stylish designs and the set includes a mangalsutra and a pair of elegant earrings. The designs of the bridal set are so intricate and it comes in the patterns as followed by the different states of India. Some bridal set contains mangalsutra designed in the style of Kundan jewellery while some set has mangalsutra and earrings with stones and other attractive designs.
While purchasing mangalsutra online, preferably choose the metal based on your choice and financial plans. Give importance to the designs of the pendant, pattern, weight and length of the chain. The fancy designer mangalsutras suits perfectly for traditional wears such as sarees, lehenga, kurtas, salwar sets and also for western dresses.
Various fashionable jewellery brands produce creative bridal jewellery sets and designer mangalsutra sets. As the designer mangalsutras has now transformed into a stylish fashion icon, the married woman can wear the fancy mangalsutra that are made up of high-quality material and trendy designs suitable to their attires.
Purchase Mangalsutra Online At LimeRoad
The mangalsutras will never fail to provide the traditional touch because the accessory always holds cultural importance. You can also look fashionable and traditional by wearing a divergent range of mangalsutras that come in modish designs. Are you confused about where to purchase the bridal jewellery? Be it a fashion garment or any stylish bridal sets, LimeRoad is the supreme fashion destination that offers high-quality products at reasonable prices. To make the shopping easier and gain a happy shopping experience, step inside LimeRoad.
At LimeRoad, you can find a wide range of bridal necklaces and mangalsutra sets that are made up of gold and other metals with stylish and attractive designs, colors and patterns. The gold tone mangalsutra along with a matching earring set is one of the widely preferred bridal sets for women. LimeRoad also offers gold and multi-color mangalsutra sets embedded with semi-precious stones and colorful beads.
To purchase a premium-quality mangalsutra for yourself or for your partner, stop by the online stores of LimeRoad and purchase your favorite chain available under the women’s accessories section right away. Enjoy shopping your bridal accessories at LimeRoad!