Hair removal has become quite the norm today. Men and women from all the various spheres of life indulge themselves in this practice. Hair removal is a very modest practice when it comes to self-care measures. It is often considered unhygienic and embarrassing for women to expose body hair in public. While this may not exactly be right, it has become a widely accepted convention that both men and women accept.
There are mainly two forms of hair removal. These being depilation and epilation. Depilation is the process in which the removal of the part of the hair above the skin takes place. This occurs most commonly by shaving and trimming. In both of these methods, only the upper, exposed part of the hair gets removed. Another method of depilation is by using chemicals. These chemicals tend to break down the disulfide bonds that link the proteins that give strength to hair. Depilation is a more temporary form of hair removal than epilation. Epilation is the process of removal of the entire hair. This means that epilation includes removing the part below the skin as well. This completely removes the hair follicle right from the root. It is a more long-lasting method of hair removal than depilation.
Hair Removal Methods
Depilation methods are often considered as the more temporary method of hair removal. This kind of hair removal lasts from several hours to several days.
This can be achieved using the following methods.
- Shaving- Shaving is the removal by using a razor or any other kind of bladed implement. This is one of the oldest and most popular method of removing body hair. It is a method used by both men and women to shave. Men usually shave facial hair, while women shave their leg and underarm hair. Shaving is done by using either a safety razor or a straight razor or an electric razor. The method involving the straight or the safety razor is often called the wet shaving. The method involving the electric razor on the other hand is called the dry shaving.
- Wet Shaving - Wet Shaving is the method of shaving in which the area to be shaved is usually doused thoroughly in warm to hot water by bathing. Another way of softening the hair of that area involves soaking the area with a towel. After this a lathering or lubricating agent, usually a shaving gel or cream, is applied to the doused area. What this does is that it lubricates the area that is to be shaved and makes sure that this area does not suffer painful razor burns. This gel or shaving cream also lifts and softens the hair follicles, causing them to swell, this in turn makes the cutting of hair much easier. Another assistance that the lubrication provides is that it allows the cutting of hair slightly below the surface of the skin. Also, during the actual process of shaving, the lubricant indicates areas that have not been touched yet. Another method involved in shaving is the lathering of the area to be shaved using brush and soap. The lathering soap is applied to the face using a long-bristled brush, that is rubbed against the area till a thick coating of lather is obtained. A very important thing to be aware of when shaving is that the hair to be shaved off is never intended to be cut in one single attempt. Multiple passes are used to remove the various layers of hair, and the aim for each of them is to remove as much hair as possible so that cutting hair becomes easier.
- Electric Shaving- This kind of a razor device contains a set of oscillating or rotating blades. This set of rotating blades is held behind a metal screen which prevents them from coming into contact with the skin. When the razor is held close to the skin, the whiskers of the hair follicles poke through the holes of the metal screen and are sliced by the moving blades behind the metal screen. There are various designs that are prevalent in the electric razor device market. There are designs of the electric razor in which the blades are a rotating cylinder. Each of the designs have an optimum motion over the skin to make sure that the individuals using the razor get the best shave and the most convenient guidance in their shaving experience.
In contrast to the wet shaving creams and gels that facilitate shaving with a safety razor, the electric shave lotions are intended to stiffen the whiskers. This stiffening of the whiskers is achieved by the dehydrating of the hair follicles using some kind of solutions of the alcohol and other chemical components.
Epilation methods involve a more permanent form of hair removal. This involves the removal of the hair right from under the skin, the complete removal of the hair from the roots. The removed hair requires several days to recover. In some cases, this may also take full several weeks to recover.
This form of hair removal involves several different methods of its own. All of which include a very different set of equipment than those used in depilation methods.
- Waxing- Waxing is an epilation hair removal method. Therefore, it involves removing hair from the roots. Usually a waxed area will not grow back hair for at least four to eight weeks. But in some cases, hair may start reappearing on the waxed area, this is because of individual reasons and also the fact that many people have their hair regrowth on a different cycle. Like many other epilation and depilation hair removal techniques, waxing too can be performed at almost every part of the human body where hair grows. This includes eyebrows, face, leg and arms, but it is not restricted to these. The waxing done by many women along the pubic region is called the bikini waxing. It is especially popular because of its effectiveness in removing hair follicles around the exposed part of the skin when donning a bikini.
- There are various methods of waxing as well. Soft waxing involves spreading a thin layer of wax over the skin. Then a strip of cloth or wax paper is stuck firmly over the thin layer of wax. This sticks the paper or the cloth to the wax and the wax to the skin where the hair is to be removed. The thin paper or the waxing cloth is then quickly ripped against the direction of hair growth as parallel as possible to the skin. The parallel ripping is preferred because it makes sure that the skin is not traumatized by any means. This removes the wax along with the hair. Pre-made waxing strips come with wax applied on them. They come in various shapes and sizes so as to make sure that they can be used at different places.
- Strip-less wax or hard wax is another method which involves waxing. In this method the wax layer applied is thicker than that applied in the typical waxing layer. The layer then hardens as it cools down and encapsulates the hairs with it. It is good for people with sensitive hair because it ensures that even the finer hairs get caught and removed by the hard-waxing cream.
Waxing is not the only method of epilation that is prevalent. There are other methods as well. These include tweezing, sugaring, threading and epilators. All of these methods of epilation result in the ‘permanent’ removal of hair. the follicles are removed right from the root.
All of these methods have various types of equipment that they require. And all of these various equipment should be bought after careful consideration. It is often seen that many people use these equipment without proper awareness of their use and application and end up getting disastrous results. So it is important that before buying any of these various devices one should become properly aware of the various effects of these particular devices.
Limeroad houses a large collection of hair removal products. It is this exquisite range of products that make sure that many of the products available on Limeroad have extremely attractive prices that make sure that all your grooming needs are fulfilled without doubt. The hair removal products available on Limeroad are all from some of the most trusted brands across the world. They are very carefully brought at your doorstep by none other than Limeroad. These products cover all the need of hair removal and are available in a wide range of segments. So hurry up and come to Limeroad to make sure that you find the best hair removal equipment right at your desktop.