Babydolls are a piece of nightwear that has well defined cups for the breasts, and has an empire waistline, flowing from the waist. The length of a babydoll is usually between the navel and the upper part of the thighs, although there are longer styles that look just as alluring.
Babydolls are a popular choice for bridal nightwear as they make its wearer look very desirable. Being a type of nightwear, babydolls are meant to be more of a visually appealing garment as it doesn’t have any true utility, but then again, not everything needs a reason!
The history of pretty lingerie is quite fascinating. Lady Duff-Gordon of Lucile is the first to have designed underwear for women that was comfortable. Earlier, underwear for women like corsets and heavy underskirts were uncomfortable and restrictive but during the First World War, women had a more active role, fuelling the need for practical undergarments with breathable fabrics.
The appearance of padded bras began at about 1935. Lingerie began to become fashionable in the 21st century, innerwear as outerwear has been a notable trend on fashion ramps and grunge culture, the kinderwhore trend featured wearing feminine babydoll dresses as outerwear with grungy elements like dark eyeliner and high socks.. Babydolls were first designed by Sylvia Pedlar in 1942 owing to the shortage of fabrics during World War II.
Why Is A Babydoll Worth Buying?
A babydoll is worth buying because it is available in so many styles, there is one to flatter every body type (read on to know which one to buy for yourself) and they are comfortable. They are a piece of lingerie that will make you feel your best because they accentuate the natural curves of a woman’s body. They are also attractive looking because of the various decorative elements they are adorned with, like sheer panels, lace trims, bows, and interesting cuts that make it look even more charming. They are also comfortable as an item of sleepwear.
Babydolls are available in these types:
- Short Babydoll: Babydolls mostly have shorter hemlines, the hemline falls between the navel and the upper part of the thigh. Depending on where the end of a short babydoll falls, it can flatter different body types.
- Long Babydoll: Long babydolls are a type of babydoll that have hemlines extending beyond the thigh, they cover more of the body but are just as tantalising!
- Opaque or Sheer: The fabric used to create a babydoll can either opaque or sheer. Opaque babydolls look more modest, but can also have sheer panels or lace that reveal bits of skin and look mysterious. Sheer babydolls leave little to the imagination, and are unabashedly sensual looking.
- Figure hugging or loose: Babydolls can either be figure hugging or loose. Figure hugging babydolls fit close to the skin and flatter one’s curves, and loose fitting babydolls hand loosely from the under bust, they are more relaxed in fit.
- Enhanced breast area: Babydolls can either have padding to lift the breasts, or they can have a natural fit on the breasts. Some babydolls have a more revealing cleavage to accentuate the breasts while some have more coverage on top.
Babydolls are made out of a variety of fabric, different materials lend it different effects and fits. Some materials used for babydolls include:
- Satin cloth: Satin is a great fabric to use for babydolls as they look luxurious and have a smooth surface, perfect for lending babydolls an attractive shine.
- Polyester cloth: Polyester is a synthetic fabric that is highly versatile in terms of the looks it can offer, it can give a sheer look or a satin like finish often at an affordable price. Since it is not a natural material, go for this fabric during sweat free months.
- Nylon cloth: Nylon is a synthetic fabric and much like polyester, it is synthetic and affordable.
- Cotton cloth: Babydolls made out of cotton can be worn during summer months too because cotton is a natural fibre. Cotton babydolls are available in many interesting patterns.
- Lace: Babydolls in lace are the epitome of sexy! This delicate material lends babydolls an ultra-feminine and seductive look.
Babydolls come in a wide variety of patterns for one to choose from. Here are some designs that you can consider:
- Solid colour: You can’t go wrong with solid coloured babydolls. There are so many colours, from subtle pastel pink to the ever smouldering black. Solid babydolls come in exciting materials like lace and mesh that break the monotony of the colour.
- Floral pattern: Floral patterns are always in because they look so dainty, and it’s no different for babydolls. Floral patterned babydolls are a fail-safe option and they look lovely.
- Polka dot pattern: Polka dots always give a charming retro feel to any item of clothing, and polka dot babydolls can look extremely alluring to the eye. Avoid going over the top by opting for smaller polka dots or big polka dots with more muted colours.
- Printed fabric: Printed babydolls are often opaque, they are available in a variety of patterns like and are also available in loungewear styles for those who don’t want a very revealing babydoll in their closet (yet!)
- Embroidered: Embroidered babydolls have beautifully intricate designs, it gives the babydoll a more rich and luxe look.
Babydolls are available in different cuts in the neck area depending on how much coverage you want and what areas you want to flatter.
- V Neck Babydoll: V neck babydolls can be as covered or revealing as you choose and they add a sharp look to your body, it is a good choice to balance out rounder body shapes.
- Square Neck Babydoll: Square neck babydolls show off a large part of the neck, and will flatter you if you have attractive collarbones or you want to highlight the top part of your body.
- Round Neck Babydoll: Round neck babydolls are classic, and they suit bodies with lots of angles and sharpness, they add softness to the body. This neckline is also great for those who do not want to show cleavage as this neckline does not plunge.
- Sweetheart Neckline Babydoll: Sweetheart necklines outline the shape of the breasts, and they enhance the look of one’s breasts quite artistically. Go for this neckline if you want the look of a bigger bust.
- Halter Neck Babydoll: Halter neck babydolls usually come with more support for the breasts. This type of neckline plunges deep, being the perfect type of neck to optimally flaunt your assets.
Babydoll For Your Body Shape
Do you want to pick up a babydoll for your nightwear collection? Wondering which one will make you look like a goddess? This guide will help you pick the right one:
If you have a full figure, choose a fitting babydoll to show off your gorgeous curves to the maximum, also look out for fun decorations like ribbons, sheer panels, and exciting trims. If you have a pear shaped body, choose a babydoll that has details like ruffles, ribbons, or lace on the top, and that end on the top half of your upper thighs to make the most of your body type. If you have an apple shaped figure, experiment with plunging necklines to look your best! Choose a shorter hemline with a lace trim to look exquisite. If you have a straight body type and want to create more volume, you can play around with lots of details like lace or sheer panels and ribbons, choose a babydoll with an empire waistline and a loose fit.
The right babydoll will leave you smitten with your body!
Where To Buy?
The best place to buy babydolls for nightwear is undoubtedly Limeroad! Limeroad has a large collection of babydolls in various fabrics, patterns and necklines with a vast variety of fits so you can definitely find a babydoll that worships your body shape. Play around with fun detailing and hemlines to find a babydoll that makes you feel gorgeous. Limeroad has curated collections created by other people that could inspire your next purchase, and even lets you create your own in case you need to create a wish list before settling for the right one. There’s no space for indecision, Limeroad is your shopping destination!
Related search terms: baby doll baby doll, baby doll dress, babydoll dress, baby doll set, cute baby doll, plus size lingerie, babydoll nightie, baby doll nighty, babydoll dresses nightwear, baby doll night dress, babydoll lingerie, baby doll nightwear