Vases For Home & Decor
Vase is an open decorative container. It is usually made of ceramic materials like glass or clay. The earliest vase was made of silver and was used as a container for water, oil or wine. Glass vases became popular in ancient Rome and China during 1st century BC.
Vases can be made from different materials like glass, ceramic, wood, non rusting metals like bronze, brass, aluminium or stainless steel
- Glass- They are common for good reasons. As it allows light to travel through both vase and water, keeping the vase from looking too heavy or out of place. You can choose glass vases from LimeRoad in variety of colours. But many of us prefer clear glasses cause of light and open appearance. Glass vases are fragile and delicate than vases made from other materials. This means if you accidentally knock or tap the vase you might break it. The thinner the glass the fine and more delicate it is. But it is true that thinner glasses break more easily than thick ones.
- Crystal- A step above from glasses but have same beauty and clearness of glass vase. It is preferred when you want both the flowers and vase to look fine and dandy. Cut crystal vases are fancy and instantly elevate the surrounding including the flowers. These vases are fragile if it tips but are heavier than glass and so less likely to be tipped. Coloured variants are also available but for brightness and clarity clear crystals are preferred.
- Wood- The natural look of wood makes it a wonderful option. Many different variants like lacquered wood vases showcasing the beauty of grain in wood are available. When using a wood vase make sure it is water tight and does not leak. Many companies make wood vase that hold water by finishing inside of vase with shellac to prevent leakage. Many wood vases have small test tube or glass insert that slide inside the vase which is not visible when flowers are inside the vase. Thus, causing the vase no damage due to water.
- Stone- They are heavier and usually bulky than its contemporaries. So it is great for outdoors even in windy weather. Stone vases are available in variety of style. Stone vases especially the newer versions are light in appearance and can be skinny and tall instead of being short. You have to make sure that stone is not porus and there is no problem of water leakage. These vases look great on floor and table. But it is not advisable on wall cause of weight.
- Metal- These vases are impressively functional creating visual interest. As they are not clear like crystal or glass vases, metal vase hide the stem of flowers. Thus, creating neat look, free from mess of stems that is common in bouquets. They come in a number of finishes, so you can choose the one from LimeRoad that goes with your decor. They are expensive but durable.
- Resin- It is made of synthetic polymer making it extraordinarily strong and water resistant. This makes for a perfect vase material. There is also no tension of knocking over. Resin vases are available in many colours. Some common among them are gold, red, brown and white.
Types Of Vases
Vases come in varied forms. So trying to find one that fits in your space can be a daunting task. The best idea is to have a set of criteria to help you in this decision.
- Table- Most flower vases are usually kept on the table as a decorative piece or to emphasize it. Basically, the table vases are small in size, to sit on the table without occupying too much space or making it difficult for people to see each other over flowers. They are available in various material and size and are not sturdy as floor vases. The material for these vases should be waterproof.
- Floor- They are wide with heavy bottoms and are much larger than table vases. The floor vases come in various design and are preferable for open or large rooms. As it is big and important part of your decor be careful when choosing as it has to be matched with the rest of your decor. It should have big opening to accommodate many flowers.
- Wall- Usually hung on the wall and can be removed for refilling and washing. Probably the best way to have fresh flowers in your home when you are hard on space. Wall vases are popular in modern home. Choose one that is made of glass as it will make the flowers to be the center of interest. Check the screws are secured and it should not hang either too high or too low.
Shapes Of Vases
This is an essential feature as it is related to the flower arrangement you wish for.
Some common shapes are:
- Rectangular vases- Best for modern interiors and also perfect when you want to arrange single flowers like tulips cause the flower has space to spread. It is an ideal table vase.
- Square vases- It is shaped almost like a cube, short and low to the table or ground with an opening in middle and top.
- Column vases- Tall flowers like lilies, sunflowers and gladioli are complemented by the elegance of column vase. A perfect choice for decorative branches or twigs. This is because column vase provides great structure keeping the sleek look.
- Round vases- Fish bowl shape or round vase are not the best choice for all flowers. But is a treat for tight constructed posy of tulips, roses, gerberas or mixed hand bouquets. The expert LimeRoad tip is to cut the stem to height of vase so they can stand and then slightly tilt the flower head, creating a beautiful dome effect.
- Hourglass vases- They are wide at the bottom, narrow in middle and slightly flare at top. This curvaceous style is particularly best for short stem flowers with large round head like peonies, roses and hydrangeas.
- Bud vases- It is smaller than the average vase and are ideal for a single bud or a few tiny flowers. Choose bud vases that come in set or empty jam jars, milk bottles or even mismatched assortment of small vases look perfect. Bud vases come in varied colours and designs but neutral colours are preferred as it keeps the emphasis on buds.
- Amphora- Shaped like trumpet with handles on either side that are connected to the body of the vase. In ancient times, people used it for storage with a lid on top. The interesting design and appearance is great for displaying dried plants and flowers.
Tips For Choosing The Perfect Vase
- The size of the vase matters. The thumb rule is the length of the flower stem should not be more than 1 and ½ to 2 times the height of your selected vase.
- Look at the opening and height of the vase. If neck is too wide it will not support the stem and the shape of your arrangement will be lost. If the opening is narrow it could destroy the stem or constrain your bouquet design.
- Don’t use vase that is more attractive or colourful than your flowers. As this will detract the emphasis. Use large vase for large bouquets and small vase for small.
Important Features Of A Vase
Vases can feature eye catching or sculptural form regardless of type of flowers displayed. Small vases full of colours can be used as accessories for dining table or add colour to certain part of your house.
Highlighting the beauty of vase by placing it in strategic position is important.
- Outdoor vase- Heavy on bottom vases are ideal for both exterior and interior use. This is a major requirement as light vase will topple when the weather is windy. Choosing an outdoor vase is easy when you keep in mind with the bottom and width. The bottom should be heavy to hold the vase in place and wide enough to balance the vase. Sturdy and squat vases are good options.
- Handblown- These vases are not perfect in shape, the small peculiarities add emphasis to the vase. Hand Blown vases are expensive depending upon the popularity of glass blower.
- Sets- Vases that look good together or as parts can be used. These sets consists of vases that are true copy, looks good in traditional home following the design and symmetry. Some sets of vases match cause of the same shape, colour or size. But going for sets that go together without vases being the same will help you achieve rhythm or continuity in decor and design of your home.
- Eco friendly- Recycled glass looks great just as regular glass. Many of us like buying recycled glass vases because of their shapes or bubbles in them.
- Distressed- Perfect for home with shabby chic aesthetic as well as exterior. These vases are perfect for less fashionable environment but not for a Victorian decor. Colours for distressed vases should be chosen in accordance with colour of your home so as to fit in the decor.
- Personalised- Perfect as a gift item. These vases are a great way to mark special occasions like birthdays, weddings or anniversaries.
Vases should complement the flowers and not overshadow the beauty of your blooms. Flowers are the main attraction, the vase acts as a frame for natural art.
Related search terms: flower pot, flower vase, vase, plant pots, flower pot decoration, flower pots online, flower vase online, flower vase design, big flower vase, glass vase